Sunday, July 25, 2010

All but the kitchen sink....

This weekend Ben and I really put the petal to the metal and finished the chicken coop! All that is left is the 'lid' - which will be a 9 foot by 4 foot piece of wood we'll have figure out how to get home in the camry....

Anyhow, are you familiar with the Disney Movie "Babe"? This is Ben's favorite movie. I know that he wants to be farmer Hogget when he grows up.
I was snapping pictures of Winny in her new coop - and this one reminds me of a couple of lines right at the beginning of the movie Babe.
THE PIG AND THE FARMER
REGARDED EACH OTHER.

AND FOR A FLEETING MOMENT,
SOMETHING PASSED BETWEEN THEM.

A FAINT SENSE
OF SOME COMMON DESTINY....
Yes - It's pink. Paint is expensive. We went to the 'oops' section of home depot - where paint is $5 a bucket. Our 3 choices were baby blue, aqua green, or miss piggy pink. Can you see us staring at these cans? "......well..... Hens are girls....right?" So we went with the pink.

Here is peeking down inside, plenty of room to peck and scratch, and totally Reggie proof.
Our girls should start laying eggs in a couple of months - so they'll need some room to stretch their legs and hideous feet and .... up the latter....
GASP!! Look at all this space! But is lacking natural lighting and where will I put my vanity??

I'm so proud of Ben! This was not easy to put together and he stuck with it. I'm excited to see these chicks in full swing. I'll let you know when Ben decided to install a solar panel on the coop for the winter :) (just kidding.... kind of....)

1 comment:

Amanda Fetters said...

WOW!!! That is so stinking cool. I really really really wish Dick could see this (he left this morning for Bad Mother school). Seriously... so impressive. Wow. This post made me laugh out loud (but where will I put my vanity? ha!). And yes. I can see Babe being Ben's favorite movie. Way to go, Ben! So my next question is - are you having a housewarming party for them?