Sunday, November 8, 2009

"The Fateful Moment"

Another cruise vacation story...and still on Catalina Island.

As we were walking around the botanical gardens and riding on golf carts (see previous posts) - my brother in law, Jordan, really wanted to try a prickly pear. A fruit that grows off a cactus. These items CAN be found at a local grocery store - but Jordan was determined to find and pick a fresh one.

So we're driving around the streets in our golf cart and spot some off the side of the road - and convinces Ben to jump off and help him find and pick a few.
This is a prickly pear that is ben is holding now...




Here they are, wandering up the hill side in.... THROUGH CACTUS BUSHES......


....find a couple.... and Ben makes the oh-so-smart-decision to carry them down in his shirt.


I like to call this picture..... "THE FATEFUL MOMENT" when Benny realizes that cactus needles are very small, very sharp, and very bothersome. Notice the stance he is taking and where the pricklies from the pear would have landed and wormed their way down through his shirt....



*sigh* It was a rough hour or so. I couldn't touch him the rest of the day or I'd have little needles in my hands and arms. And the clothes were condemned from the rest of the suitcase. The best part - for a week we were picking needles out of areas --- that'd I'd rather not say :)

1 comment:

childishkim said...

I'd like to let everyone know that I asked Ben's permission to tell this story BEFORE I posted it :)