Thursday, February 12, 2009

Food Alchemy: Mustard Accomplished!

I love this picture. It is black mustard seeds half way through the grinding process. I just loved seeing the bright yellow erupt forth from out of the blackness of the seeds. In case you couldn't tell this is mustard time! The post is quite delayed, since I made the mustard some time ago and have eaten some already (quite good). On to the Alchemy!!

This is my ingredient spread for my first and favorite mustard, spicy apple mustard. It consists of mostly black mustard seed, apple juice concentrate, apple cider vinegar, and a touch of vinegar. It rocks, the sweetness of the apple works very well with the heat of the mustard, success!
This is a more simple mustard, I like to think of it as my margarita mustard. Lime juice is the primary liquid, with some salt added for good measure. I made it a bit too salty though, sadly, but I like the tang of the lime.


The last mustard I made (below) was also made with pure yellow mustard seeds. It was inspired by a mustard I ate with my wife on a date many years ago. The dominant flavor was supposed to be dill, but I don't think I used enough. I also overpowered it with lemon... oh well, lessons learned.
Here they are in all their glory...

Note to self... Hand grinding mustard seeds may seem like a neat idea, but after a half an hour and still grainy I am going to just buy mustard powder for my recipes that are meant to be smooth.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I'm so impressed you make your own mustard!