Thursday, June 3, 2010

6 Souls in my home.

Well - we are settling down in to our new duplex in West Valley. It's turning out to be a really nice place! I've got (what feels like) a miles of more space. I haven't located my camera cord yet but found out that ben's computer has a card reader! I've got a million things to show 'you' - but we'll start with the LOUDEST thing.

We got chickens! Everyone asks why - and I just tell them that Ben is a farmer at heart. He's been talking about chickens (not as pets but employees) for ages! He did all his research and these little blackie chicks will grow to give us about one egg a day. It's been fun to watch them grow up! They were cute little fluffy chicks when we got them --- but now they are turning into some ugly adolescents. (I think they're still pretty cute now - but I'm sure it'll get worse...)
Dogs are surprisingly okay with them. I'm sure that if I left Reg to his own devices he'd chomp on them - but he's too old to do anything about it. So he just gives glares like ..."....if I were a younger dog....."


Tally on the other hand is totally freaked out by them. This picture is the closest I've see her get to them. Every time she makes an effort to sniff them she gets pecked or they pull on her fur --- then she turns and runs for her life. Still very curious though....
Because we have been talking about getting chickens forever - a long time ago we decided to name them after world leaders. ... below is Winston - call her Winny - after Winston Churchill. She is the smart one (if you can call chickens smart). She's the one that figures out how to jump over things and seems to think more then the other (usually in an effort to escape).
And this is Benito - for Benito Mussolini - who is the brave one. She is the one that pecks tally on the nose or runs at her when she's getting to close. Benito is the reason Tally is scared of chickens.
Still so many things to show you - but I'm going to try and spread it out a bit. Don't want to overwhelm ya....

1 comment:

Amanda Fetters said...

HA, HA, HA!!!! Benito. I was waiting for the other one to be Fidel. So jealous that you get to have chickens.... oh how I wish we could bring the girls over to chase them (or maybe it would be the other way around).

So where was this all-important phone call last night? Eh? Ehhh?? I sat by the phone all night long. And it didn't ring. (sob)