Thursday, January 22, 2009

FRIED PICKLES!!

I don't remember where I first heard of these, but ever since I did I thought they sounded awesome. There is just something about pickles that has captured my attention lately, and not just cucumber pickles, but all pickled vegetables.

So I chose the basic dill chips for my fried pickles. They had to be quite dry so I strained and dried them.

This is my cornmeal mixture that I coated my pickles with. Pretty basic stuff, just cornmeal, salt black pepper and some herbs. I used some buttermilk and egg as a liquid dredge.
The battered chips, ready to freeze so the batter stays on during frying.
The finished product! Since they are originally from the south I decided that a cornmeal batter would be more authentic, but in hindsight I kind of wish I would have used the flour recipe I saw, as I thought the cornmeal was a bit coarse. Either way they were quite good.

1 comment:

Amanda Fetters said...

Wild! I am thoroughly intrigued...

The word verification I'm about to type in is "investio." It sounds like a Harry Potter spell.